Sunday, March 6, 2011

I Just Made a 'A Bundt in the Oven'

Before you get all excited, it's a Bundt not a Bun!  There will be no more buns in the oven around here...possibly ever.  At the very least, this mommy needs a break and I'm rather enjoying the two little ones I have.  It's kind of funny because when I mentioned 'bundt' to Jeremy, he thought of baseball since the Jays kicked off pre-season baseball today.

This bundt recipe is my favourite and I haven't made it for a long time so it was long overdue.  Seriously, this is the mother of all bundt cakes.  Okay, that's enough of that!  Here's the recipe from possibly my favourite cookbook ever, Eat, Shrink and by Merry, and a couple of photos.  There aren't really any special tricks although my cake ended up a bit purple because I used small blueberries in an electric mixer.  Purple or not, it still tasted delicious!  I would also recommend using a very non-stick bundt pan like I used so it's easy to get the cake loose from the pan before you invert it so the streusel is on top.

Streusel Topping
1/4 cup chopped pecans
3 tbsp all-purpose flour
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp butter, melted

Cake
2 cups Bisquick baking mix
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
3/4 cup lemon yogurt (or use 2 tbsp lemon juice and 1 tbsp sugar with plain yogurt)
2 eggs
1/3 cup 1% milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 tsp grated lemon zest
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups fresh blueberries
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.  Spray the bundt pan with cooking spray and dust lightly with flour.
  • To prepare the streusel topping, combine the ingredients together and mix well with a fork.
  • Combine the baking mix, flour, sugar and cinnamon in a large bowl.
  • In a medium bowl, whisk together the yogurt, eggs, milk, oil, lemon zest and vanilla.  Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix just until the dry ingredients are moistened.  Batter will be thick.  Gently fold in blueberries.
  • Spoon batter into the bundt pan and sprinkle the streusel evenly over the batter.
  • Bake for 40-45 minutes and then allow to cool.  Loosen the edges and invert the cake.  Then carefully flip over so the streusel is on top.
A couple quick notes: My bundt needed to bake in the oven a bit longer...more like 50-55 minutes but every oven is different so I'd keep an eye on it.  Also, the inverting and flipping sounds tricky but it went surprisingly smoothly with some patience.

The Bundt Cake fresh out of the oven!
My cake after the inverting/flipping procedure.

3 comments:

  1. Well that looks interesting and its not something I have ever heard of x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting and yummy..you should try it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just wanted to let you know that my daughter was looking online for a blueberry bundt cake to make and found yours. She made it with no issues and it was delicious and so moist. Thank you for sharing a great recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails