Sunday, February 20, 2011

Buttermilk Apple Cake (Healthy!)

I've mentioned before that Food and Whine is one of my favourite food blogs.  I often check for ideas before I go grocery shopping to help me with meal planning for the week.  This apple cake is one of my favourite recipes from the blog so I wanted to share it with everyone.  I am also feeling a bit under the weather and thought that apples have a reputation for good health so maybe a few slices of this cake will help me.  The first piece made me feel better at least!  It's also relatively healthy and packed full of moist apples which I love.  The cinnamon sugar middle layer doesn't hurt the overall taste either.

Here's the recipe:

Buttermilk Apple Cake

1/4 cup butter, softened
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 1/2 cups buttermilk*
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole-wheat flour
1 tbsp flaxseed meal
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
2 1/2 cups finely chopped apples (leave skin on for more fibre)

Brown sugar centre:
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
  • In a large bowl, beat together butter and sugar until combined.  
  • Beat in buttermilk. 
  • In another bowl, combine flours, flax, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt. 
  • Add to buttermilk mixture and stir well. 
  • Add apples and mix until combined.  
  • Spread half the batter into a greased bundt pan. In a small bowl, combine brown sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle onto batter. Top with remaining batter. 
  • Bake at 350F for 40-45 minutes or until toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean. Let cool in pan.
*Instead of buttermilk, you can use regular milk and add about 1 1/2 tbsp of lemon juice. Let stand for 10 minutes.

Trudy's Notes:  I used my KitchenAid mixer for this recipe and was just careful to only use the lowest stir setting when I added the apples.  I baked it for 40 minutes and that was perfect.  It really depends on your oven but any longer would have been too long in mine.

I had to take a photo of the cake before I cut a slice because I was amazed that it actually came out in one whole piece.  Here it is!




Since we're on the topic of delicious food, don't forget to enter the giveaway for a Sample Box of Baby Gourmet.  It's also worth checking out Baby Gourmet if you have toddlers as the food comes in convenient packaging and toddlers love it too (and it's healthy!).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails